Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Opthalmologist visit

I just got home from the eye doctor. My Mom said he is the best one around here and I agree. He was very thorough and very nice. As soon as he came in he asked me why she had been referred there. I told him that Lyriel did not track objects or seem to focus on objects, and the pediatrician had also seen this and wanted her eyes checked. He asked me if I thought there was a problem, since I was Mom and with her all the time. I said I was concerned because shes now over 2 months old and still has not looked me in the face yet, and she doesnt look at toys or anything, but she does squint at night when I go into the bathroom to change her and switch on the light.

So he got out his light and tried to get her to look at the light and follow it but she didnt. She squinted a little and blinked but thats all. So they numbed her eyes with drops and checked for glaucoma with this thing that looked like a fat ink pen by poking her eye with it. EWW that was hard to watch! She didnt cry though. That test was good, all normal. So they put in the drops to dilate her pupils. Now she cried, I know those sting Sad We had to wait 10-15 minutes while they dilated fully so I nursed her and she fell asleep. The Dr came back and fully checked her eyes for any abnormalities and he found nothing. He used 2 different lights to look inside, and even put some corrective lenses over her eyes to see if she would respond to the light, but still she didnt. He tried about 10 different lenses too.

His diagnosis..her eyes are perfectly healthy, theres no physical reason why she cannot see, but its obvious that she cant. His next plan of action is to have her head scanned to look for a neurological reason. So he is sending a note to her pediatrician to schedule that for her as well. He said for some reason the signals from her eye are not being interpreted by the brain. He didnt give any more details on what that might mean. Im sure he didnt want to scare me.

Jason isnt taking this too well. Usually Im the panicker and hes the one calming me down, this time its the other way around. I just have this calm feeling, like its all going to be OK, and I should just be patient. All prayers are very much appreciated!

I will update here again once we have any other news. She sees the audiologist on the 16th, next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment